By Gentle Family Dentistry
November 12, 2014
Category: Dental Procedure
Tags: Teeth Whitening
While you don’t want teeth so white that they could glow in the dark, most people do desire a brighter smile. And that’s possible with the help of dental products and treatment.
Different Ways to Whiten Teeth
To keep those teeth from going dim, there are whitening products you can use at home or find at your local dentist office, such as:
- Whitening toothpastes: A low-grade whitening product that slightly removes surface stains. Using whitening toothpaste on a daily basis can help fight dental stains caused by coffee and other staining agents.
- Whitening strips: You directly apply these invisible strips onto the teeth. Treatment typically lasts for two weeks.
- Whitening gels: Similar in effectiveness to strips, a gel-based whitening is applied with brush for at least 14 days.
- Whitening rinses: There are a variety of mouthwashes that cater to different issues, one being dental staining. Whitening rinses are mild, so they won’t produce visible results like you may want.
- Whitening trays: Using trays filled with gel whitening solution is one of the most effective ways to whiten teeth.
- In-office whitening: Whitening the teeth at a dentist office promises the fastest results. They use whitening products coupled with different techniques, such as heat, light and laser. You need to ask your dentist which in-office whitening treatment he/she offers.
What’s the Difference between Over-the-Counter and In-office Whitening?
The whitening strip and gel treatments are typically peroxide-based, which makes them the most effective over-the-counter whitening products. In-office whitening utilizes a hydrogen peroxide mixture, but it differs from whitening strips and gels because it’s a stronger whitening solution. This allows dental professionals to whiten patients’ teeth in just one sitting.
Contact our Bay City dentistry office at (989) 892-7832 for more information about our teeth whitening system. We look forward to making your day and teeth brighter!